Regional Events Fund | The Coromandel
Applications for the 2021/22 Regional Events fund for The Coromandel have now closed.
We thank all event organisors for taking the time to submit an application.
We were delighted with the number of entries, receiving 16 applications requesting over $600,000. While it was anticipated that there would be a maximum of 3 events funded, with no pre-determined allocation per event, given the quality and range of applications, the panel is pleased to be able to support the following 8 events.
- Hootnanny $30,000 (New country rock festival, Thames)
- Amplify $30,000 (New wellness festival, Whangamata)
- Maritime Park Christmas Light Festival $10,000
- Pauanui Half Marathon $10,000
- Whitianga Marathon $10,000
- Whitianga Oceans Festival $20,000
- Highland Games and Tattoo $20,000
- Ride Coromandel $10,000 (New BMX event, Coromandel Town)
MBIE's $50 million Regional Events Fund (REF) is designed to stimulate domestic tourism and travel between regions through holding events. This is intended to support the tourism and events sector, and replace some of the spend from international visitors lost as a result of COVID-19
About the Regional Events Fund
The Regional Events Fund (REF) is available to the International Marketing Alliance (IMA) grouping of Regional Tourism Organisations (RTOs), which includes Destination Coromandel, The Coromandel's official RTO.
The purpose of the fund is to stimulate ‘out of region’ visitation through funding events that will encourage expenditure missed by the international visitor markets. The fund was allocated based on the regions’ respective shares of the international visitor spend prior to COVID-19.
The Pacific Coast Highway IMA (which includes The Coromandel plus Tourism Bay of Plenty, Tairāwhiti Gisborne and Hawke’s Bay Tourism) received $2m as part of the fund and the decision was taken to distribute the allocation with the same rationale of share i.e percent share of international visitor spend. This means The Coromandel will be eligible for $400k over the next 4 years.
The four regions have agreed that success will be achieved when events are delivered that promote the well-being pillars of:
1. Cultural: increasing iwi and community engagement,
2. Social: enhancing community spirit, improving job opportunities for residents and fostering a sense of place and pride among residents.
3. Environmental: striving to be environmentally friendly and, where possible, target zero waste for events.
4. Economic: increasing visitation and visitor spend, increasing awareness of the Pacific Coast Highway.
We recognise that major events generate significant visitation to or our region, but smaller or less well-established events that have the capacity to grow are also eligible. All events will need to show that they have a clear plan and pathway to attract additional visitors, with the REF accelerating the growth of newer events and providing a ’step change’ component for established major events.
The Coromandel’s Regional Events Fund aims to act as a seed fund to help new and existing events build and develop a long term sustainable platform which will allow for continued growth i.e investment in policies, procedures, studies, strategies etc.
Through the REF, Destination Coromandel aims to build a stronger calendar of events which will collectively showcase the essence of The Coromandel while stimulating and enhancing the economic wellbeing of the region and providing significant flow-on benefits to tourism businesses (which includes the retail and hospitality sectors) in The Coromandel.
2021 - 2022 $140,000 Applications open July 2021
2022 - 2023 $70,000 Applications open July 2022
2023 - 2024 $70,000 Applications open July 2023
2024 - 2025 $70,000 Applications open July 2024
- Each year, it is anticipated that there will be a maximum of 3 events funded, with no pre-determined allocation per event.
- A maximum of two years’ consecutive funding may be granted per event.
TIMELINE OF ACTIVITY - 2021
1 July 2021 Applications open
19 July 2021 Applications close 5 pm
20-28 July 2021 Applications assessed
20 August 2021 Successful applications notified
1 October 2021 Event commencement date