Crosbies Hut offers panoramic views of the Coromandel Main Range - north towards Maumaupaki and Mercury Bay and from the Firth of Thames in the west to Table Mountain and the Upper Kauaeranga Valley in the east. The lights of Whitianga are visible at night. The hut is situated in an old farming settlement established in 1880, with Thomas Hunter Crosbie being the first settler. Access was by foot, horseback or horse-drawn sledge. There are still some fences alongside the track leading up to the hut. The area became part of the Coromandel Forest Park in 1970.
At the hut site there is a memorial for two Swedish tourists who went missing while tramping in the area in 1989.
Tracks and walks: Crosbies hut is located on the Memorial Loop Track off the Main Range Track, approximately 12 km north east of Thames. Track closures to help control kauri dieback disease mean that currently the only option to access the hut ids via the Whangaiterenga Track from the Kauaeranga Valley. The Hut can normally be accessed from a number of tracks, with two access points from Thames township (Waiotahi and Karaka), two off the Thames Coast Highway SH 25 (Te Puru and Waiomu) one off the Tapu-Coroglen Road and one from the Kauaeranga Valley. The Waiotahi Track can be extremely muddy in wet weather. Allow 4 to 6 hours for all access tracks to Crosbies Hut. For further information about these tracks please contact the Kauaeranga Valley Visitor Centre.
Facilities - Serviced Hut - Mattresses - Heating - 10 Bunks Serviced Huts have mattresses, water supply, toilets, hand washing facilities and heating with fuel available. They may have cooking facilities with fuel and a warden. There are also 5 tent sites near the hut (max of 15 pax)
Bookings are online via the DoC's Online booking system: https://bookings.doc.govt.nz/Web/Facilities/SearchViewUnitAvailabity.aspx
or via the Kauaeranga Visitor Centre on 07 867 9080
206 Pollen Street